Hit and Run Accidents in Monroe, GA
Were you in a hit and run accident in Monroe, Georgia or Loganville, Georgia? If so, you are likely out of luck unless you have uninsured motorist coverage.
What Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
Uninsured motorist coverage is coverage for situations like a hit and run where the at-fault driver is unknown, or for situations where the at-fault driver is known, but does not have liability insurance.
It is very important to make sure you have uninsured motorist coverage because of the above-mentioned situations.
If you do have uninsured motorist coverage and you find yourself in a hit and run accident, you can still recover money under your uninsured motorist coverage policy.
What Do You Need To Prove In A Georgia Hit And Run Case?
If you were in a hit and run accident and have uninsured motorist coverage, you must prove the following for your uninsured motorist coverage to apply:
- Actual physical contact occurred between your car and the unknown car that hit you and fled the scene; OR
- If physical contact cannot be proved, eyewitness testimony of the accident by someone other than yourself.
Please also keep in mind you are required to report the accident to the police if you want to recover under Georgia law.
Tips For Documenting A Hit And Run Accident
- Call 911 and report the accident.
- Make sure you obtain a police report for the accident.
- Take pictures of any physical damage to your car so you can show physical contact occurred.
- If any eyewitnesses were present, make sure to get their contact information.
- Notify your uninsured motorist insurance carrier of the accident as soon as possible. Many uninsured motorist insurance policies require timely notice of the accident for the insurance coverage to apply.
Contact Benton & Benton
If you were in a hit and run accident in Monroe, Georgia or Loganville, Georgia and would like a free case evaluation, please call us at 770-365-6414.