Covington, GA Injury Lawyer
If you or your loved ones are injured because of someone’s mistake or negligence, fighting for compensation might be the last thing you can think of while dealing with the trauma and injury. However, it is necessary to take certain steps soon after an injury, like writing down detailed information about the incident and injuries. It does not only help strengthen your case, but these notes can also be helpful when discussing your legal options with a personal injury lawyer.
Secondly, it is advisable to hire an injury lawyer. Although a personal injury lawyer cannot undo injury or take away your pain, they can professionally help you get maximum compensation for damages that can help ease your troubles and give you the financial resources you need and deserve to heal and get back to normal life.
Additionally, personal injury lawyers are dedicated to obtaining the very best recovery possible for you through their experience and professionalism. It is recommended not to go through the paperwork and the less-than-transparent demands of the compensation plans or insurance companies on your own.
Injuries That Qualify for an Injury Compensation Case
Personal injury law enables an injured person to get compensation if the injury is caused by someone’s wrongful conduct, negligence, or an intentional act of harm. There are many situations that can make you eligible for an injury claim.
Here is a list of some of the most common types of personal injury cases that make you eligible to claim compensation:
- Car accident
- Bicycle accident
- Motorcycle accident
- Bus accident
- Pedestrian accident
- Commercial truck accident
- Nursing home neglect or abuse
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Pharmaceutical injuries
- Premises liability
- Dog bite injury
- Slip and fall accidents
- Product liability
- Wrongful death
Benefits of Hiring an Injury Lawyer
If you have never fought a personal injury case before and never gone through the paperwork involved, these things are confusing and can cause more damage than good.
Every case is different and you will get compensation accordingly. Hiring a lawyer can yield many benefits. Some of the benefits are listed below:
- Injury laws are complex and vary for each state. If you try to fight the case yourself, you need to have an updated and proper knowledge of both federal and state personal injury laws. Additionally, you need to have knowledge about how the court system works, deadlines, paperwork and more deadlines. If you are not fully prepared, it can work in favor of your opponent. Well trained lawyers are aptly equipped to present your case in the best possible way.
- If you have suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence, you have the right to claim compensation. The compensation can be for 2 types of damages: special and general damages.
- Special damages include economic damages like medical bills, costs associated with property damages, and many more.
- General damages include the pain and suffering that damages your physical as well as mental health. These damages are not easy to calculate and require professional help.
Personal injury lawyers are experts and know exactly what types of damages you can claim and how much you can claim. Without a personal injury lawyer, you might miss out on a significant sum of money in damages. Additionally, you can make the mistake of over-claiming, which can put your case at risk of being dismissed and reduce the chance of a successful out-of-court settlement.
- Another important benefit of hiring a professional injury lawyer is that it saves you time. Handling a case on your own can be very time-consuming, especially if you have never done it before.
- One more important benefit of hiring an injury lawyer is the stress a lawyer can save you from. Handling any legal case personally can be very stressful. Having a lawyer can reduce any associated stress.
Civil Statute of Limitations in Covington, GA
Each state has different deadlines for different types of cases. The deadlines set by states have to be obeyed by applicants, respondents, lawyers and judges. For Georgia, these deadlines are called ‘The Georgia Statute of Limitations.’ When they are for personal injury cases, they determine the time period within which you have to file a lawsuit for a personal injury. For example, the statute of limitation for car, truck and motorcycle accidents is 2 years in Georgia.
Once you miss the deadline periods of a personal injury case provided by your state, you can not claim compensation. Courts do not forgive a failure to file suit by the statute of limitations deadline, so it is recommended to file a case within 6 months after the injury. Most attorneys prefer not to take a case on very short notice as investigating, drafting, filing suit and serving defendants take time. If the attorneys fail to complete the necessary steps in a given time period, they could be sued for legal malpractice.
Reasons to Trust Benton & Benton
When in need of an expert and reliable lawyer to handle your personal injury case in Covington, GA and nearby areas, Benton & Benton is the law firm you can rely on. The founders of the firm, Barlett and Gene Benton, have been providing unparalleled services for many years, defending insurance companies and large companies in personal injuries lawsuits. Gene Benton served as a Superior Court Judge for 16 years before starting Benton & Benton.
We emphasize clear communication and client attention. We make sure that each client gets personalized attention. We do not charge you unless your case is won by our expert lawyers.
Whenever you need the services of an expert personal injury lawyer, call Benton & Benton for unmatched results and a free consultation of your case.