Can I Sue after a Car Accident?

The laws do vary from state to state but in Georgia, you can sue after a car accident. You do have to file a claim within a two year period of the accident occurrence. It’s important to note that it is required that you have to have a physical injury to receive compensation for distress.

Contact Benton & Benton lawyers if you have dealt with an injury due to a car accident. You can receive a free consultation and receive guidance from a qualified and experienced accident attorney.

What types of damages can I sue for?

The different types of damages that you can sue for are special damages, general damages and punitive damages. Each type of damage will be explained in more detail below.

Special Damages

This type of damage includes medical expenses, property damage and lost wages. Medical expenses can include the expense of the ambulance ride, the emergency room visit, medication, and physical therapy. This is essential to know because the extent of your injuries is necessary to assess so you can earn the compensation you deserve. 

Property damage includes your vehicle that was damaged in the accident. It’s important to write down all of the items that were lost or damaged in the car that need to be mentioned. It is crucial to include as much information as possible so that you can give an accurate picture of what happened.

Lost wages should be included in your case if you cannot return to work, no matter how long it’s for. You should be compensated for income lost because you weren’t able to work due to your injuries or the time you missed at work because your injuries were being treated.

General Damages

General damages covers the pain and suffering a person goes through which include anxiety and/or depression, disfigurement, diminished quality of life, loss of a loved one or permanent disability. 

Punitive Damage

Punitive damages can be used for compensation if someone was injured due to negligent behavior. Examples of this would be distracted driving or drunk driving. These are considered punitive damage because a person consciously made a decision to engage in this behavior.

How much can I sue for?

The following are rough estimates and it is recommended that you receive a consultation based on your specific situation and injuries.

Minor injuries such as whiplash fall between $10,000 and $25,000 or if it’s less extreme, between $2,500 to $10,000.

Severe injuries where injuries consist of paralysis or inhibit daily function and surgery is necessary, then you can receive hundreds of thousands of dollars to millions.

Brain injuries require surgery and/or therapy and can range from $100,000 to $250,000 in compensation.

Spinal injuries can vary depending on the injury thus requiring surgery and/or therapy. You can be compensated between $75,000 to $100,000.

Contact Benton & Benton today to help you receive the compensation you deserve and have an experienced attorney helping you every step of the way.